What are Essential Oils?
Essential oils are the aromatic compounds of plants. The stuff that makes dried lavender smell so good? That’s traces of the oil left over in the fiber. The oil is where all the magic happens in the plant. It’s where the plant responds to threats, like insects, protects its own cells, and keeps healthy. And because our body recognizes Nature, we can use oils to help us stay healthy too. Or fight off our own insects. #truestory
Oils can be steam-distilled or cold-pressed from places like the leaves, stems, flowers, rinds, wood, roots, etc. Leaving the fiber behind and taking only the good stuff makes oils very, very potent. In fact where you might use dozens of cups of peppermint tea, you would only use one drop of peppermint oil. And many times you need less than a drop. Which also makes them super affordable, especially since they can last up to a decade or more if you take good care of them.
How do you use them?
doTERRA essential oils can be used four different ways:
This is the application method you’d want to use for things like air quality, supporting the respiratory system, or balancing moods. Aromatic usage is usually done with a diffuser (a little home appliance that sends the oils into the air), as well as other methods when you’re in a pinch.
This is where you apply the oil to the skin. You’ll need to know a little about dilution, (whether or how much to dilute an oil for sensitive skin), as well as where to apply on the body. Your skin will absorb the oil and put it to good use within just minutes of applying. It’s pretty cool like that.
This is what we call it when you use oils for things like cleaning toilets or showers. Oils have some pretty sweet cleaning properties and can help you avoid harsh chemicals. No really, they work. In fact, they work a lot better than some of the most caustic cleaners people have under their sinks. And it’s good for you at the same time.
Ahhh, the much abused stepchild of the aromatherapy world. There are a lot of people who will wiggle their finger at anyone wanting to learn the proper ways to use essential oils internally. But don’t worry. You’re a smart cookie. And as long as you learn the precautions, you can use oils in flavoring or as supplements to your health.
What can you use them for?
Oh let me count the ways!
There are literally dozens, sometimes even hundreds, of uses for each and every oil. These are just a few of my favorites:
- Diffuse some Serenity (Calming Blend) to chill the kids out at night
- Rub a little Wintergreen on your shoulders after you try to deadlift 100lbs
- Add a drop of DigestZen (Digestive Blend) to your tea when you’ve just eaten your weight in cookies
- Make up a homemade cleaner with some Melaleuca and Lemon oil
- Add a drop (just a drop!) of Rosemary to your soup when you’re out of the dried stuff
- Put some Helichrysum or Frankincense on a boo-boo and be Superhero of the hour
- Dab some Lavender on your thumb after it touches the hot cast iron pan
- Massage a dab of Breathe (Respiratory Blend) over your kiddos chest to promote feelings of clear breathing
- Use some Immortelle (Anti-Aging Blend) on those signs of *ahem* maturing skin
- Add some Balance (Grounding Blend) to your lotion when you’re having a terrible, no good, very bad day
- Use TerraShield (Repellant blend) or Arborvitae that repel insects to keep the skeeters off
Basically, as long as you’re not trying to replace common sense and a good doctor with oils, the sky’s the limit. Every area of the body, every area of the home, even that sometimes crazy head of yours, can use a little oily goodness.
Why doTERRA Essential Oils?
When I got started with oils I didn’t know there was a difference from one brand to the next. Which is probably why I didn’t think they worked…I was using the cheap stuff, and even some of the expensive stuff, and just not seeing the difference. Until I was introduced to doTERRA essential oils and had my head blown clean off. (Not literally. Thankfully. That’d be bad.) There are a lot of reasons I love and only choose these essential oils now.
Here are a few of those reasons below:
- Extreme care in the planting, growing, harvesting, and distilling of oils
- Never any chemical fertilizer, herbicides, GMOs, etc
- Some plants need to be hand-picked and at specific times (like right after it rains)
- Never any fillers, contaminants, or adulterants added
- Third-party testing of each and every batch to ensure it’s purity and potency (no in-house labs, so greater accountability)
- Oh and did I mention, every one of their oils are grown in its biologically appropriate region?
That last one is a big deal! So many companies grow their plants in just a few farms, mostly in the US. But have you ever tried to grow a plant in Florida that is indigenous to the cold climate of Wisconsin? It’s not gonna be a healthy plant. The same with oils, growing plants outside their indigenous region creates a less robust plant with a difference in the potency of the oil.
On top of the quality of the oil, is the integrity of doTERRA. Watching them work over these past few years have made me damn proud to be aligned with this company. Things like their Co-Impact Sourcing initiatives to ensure the safety and welfare of their growers around the world (basically sustainability and Fair Trade practices, kicked up a few notches), to their Healing Hands Foundation that donates millions each year to communities in need, to the way they care for their members, never pushing us to “make a buck”, but instead to empower, show up to serve, and maintain our family and personal priorities.
Why join the OHH community?
This is something most people don’t consider when they get started with oils: the community you join with will be the people you go to for education, support, and connection. Some people join through a stranger at a health fair, never considering whether that stranger is a good fit for them, and then feel frustrated or confused when they are stuck with them.
Since I don’t know you, I can’t tell you if Organic Home Health is the right community for you, but I can tell you what we’re like so you can decide for yourself if we’re a good fit.
Here’s what OHH is about:
- We’re not about telling you what to do; we’re about educating and empowering you to know for yourself
- We’re not pushy, or salesy (and we don’t want you to be either)
- We want to show up to serve and meet you where you are
- We’re all about total acceptance and connection and fun #judgmentfreezone
- We’re about being authentic and down-to-earth, and building real friendships
And here’s what we offer the peeps in our community:
- A robust and seriously amazeballs private online community for 24/7 support, FAQ, and oil inspiration
- A one-on-one Membership Overview to help you learn the ins and outs of your oils and your membership
- A fully stocked Learning and/or Building Portal with training, videos, how-to’s, and goodness to become your own oil expert or build your own oily business
- Community giveaways, just for fun, because I like fun.
- Free gifts to live better in other areas too, like my Digging Deep e-guide, or guides on making organic food affordable or managing weight
- Retreats, get-togethers, challenges, and guidance every step of the way
- Ongoing education, classes, and training so you’ll always be growing
This community is for you if you value relationships, authenticity, kindness, laughter, a bit of goofiness, real connection, science and research, and level-headed guidance. With maybe a bit of woo-woo and peace, love, and hippie beads thrown in for good measure.
3 ways to join us
You’ve got options! And who doesn’t love options? In general, we find our community has 3 types of people, and we welcome them all.
The Oil Lovers
These are the lovely people who just wanna use essential oils, get support from an amazing community, and get the best prices. You become a member with doTERRA and we plug you into our community for guidance and connection. No obligations to buy or sell. Just you, doing your thing, with a great crew and even some sweet Fairy Oil Parents in your corner.
The Oil Sharers
Sharers are Oil Lovers who took it one step further. They probably couldn’t stop talking about oils, so they began to share them with others. Their goal is mostly to spread the love, but hey, moolah isn’t bad either. Sharers invest up to 15 hours a week, and usually want to get their own oily addiction paid for, or even supplement their regular income.
The Business Builders
Builders are the people who love the oils, love to share, get a natural high from helping others, but they want to really delve all in and make this their full-time gig. They are ready to invest 20+ hours a week into building their oil biz, because they know they’re committed, and they see the potential in working with us to reach their goals quickly and efficiently.